Salary: £30,000-35,000 depending on experience
We’re looking for a developer to join our team. In this role, you’ll be expected to work largely independently, managing your own projects, and will report to our lead developer. Our work is mainly frontend based but projects often require API integrations or have custom requirements, so some PHP skills are necessary.
What you’ll be doing:
We're a small development team, so we’re looking for someone who can muck in with all tasks and help support other team members. Our requirements will give you a good idea of what skills you’ll need to have or develop.
During a typical week you'll find yourself working on a variety of tasks, including:
- Working on a large project such as a new website build using Craft CMS.
- Building a Craft module, either to integrate a third-party API with Craft CMS, or to address client-specific business needs.
- Working on many smaller projects for existing sites, carrying out general maintenance or implementing smaller features.
- Working with our lead developer, account and project managers with scoping, quoting and providing timescales for new projects.
- At least four years’ commercial experience within an agency.
- Previous experience with Craft CMS.
- Comfortable working on both the frontend and backend.
- Great knowledge and understanding of modern CSS and best practises.
- Good knowledge of PHP.
- Experience with build tools such as Gulp, Webpack and Vite.
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of SEO: what works and what doesn't.
- Understanding of common performance issues and how to avoid them.
- Experience with Craft module/plugin development.
- Experience building accessible sites in compliance with WCAG standards.
- Experience with ExpressionEngine and/or Wordpress to help maintain legacy sites.
- Experience with managing Linux-based servers and general devops skills. We use DigitalOcean and ServerPilot to manage things but occasionally have to debug the odd issue or two; nothing too in-depth.
We want to hear from you if you:
- Are self-motivated, enjoy what you do, and love problem solving.
- Know when to ask for help and conversely can identify when and where your expertise could be applied.
- Have a positive attitude to work and when faced with a new problem or unfamiliar system, seek answers and solutions without being asked.
- Can communicate effectively when collaborating with the team and clients, especially when explaining more technical problems.
As a development team, we pride ourselves on delivering high-quality websites. We see the start of every build as the start of a long-term relationship. As a company, we go above and beyond to meet our clients’ needs and focus on delivering results above all else. Accessibility and progressive enhancement are always at the forefront of our minds when designing and building sites.
Nixon is a multidisciplinary agency and offers in-house copywriting, print and development services. Our team is made up of people who are passionate about what we do, and don’t do work for the sake of it.
As a developer, it’s nice to know what you might be doing, and when it comes to the frontend it’s easy to see what we do. However, the more complex projects usually take place behind the scenes, so here is a peek behind the scenes of some recent projects:
- Availability API integration: for this project, the API offered the ability to store the raw availability information on our servers to keep searching fast. This meant that we were responsible for keeping the data up to date and for the search queries, which involved sorting information by relevance (proximity to date and occupancy) and required some more complex MySQL queries.
- Trade account: an e-commerce client required custom pricing for their trade customers, along with a custom checkout flow and the ability to restrict certain product availability to those customers. This was all done using Craft Commerce, using custom adjusters, and permissions.
This role is open to remote working as long as you are based in the Unitied Kingdom.
Along with your CV, we’d like to hear how you feel previous experience relates to the position described. Examples of past work are also much appreciated. Please send these to: [email protected]
Please provide your salary expectations and an indication of your availability should you be successful.