We’re on the look out for an ambitious and experienced front-end developer to join our friendly and supportive team, by the beach in Bournemouth. As a front-end developer for Arc, you’ll create and oversee beautiful, technically excellent web and ecommerce sites that delight the intended audience and achieve the desired results.
This role is instrumental in supporting the other creative disciplines in the Arc studio, such as branding, SEO and user experience.
Closing date/time for applications:
9am Monday, 12th July, 2021.
We welcome applications from people who do not live within commutable distance to Bournemouth, however, there would be an expectation that all employees gather as a group, frequently and in person where possible.
What the role entails
- Turning web designs and interfaces into technically excellent, semantic HTML/PHP templates and then integrating those templates into content management systems (CMS) such as WordPress.
- Maintaining, supporting and optimising existing client websites, including overseeing the studio's hosting service and maintenance routine.
- Working with our Designer and Head of Digital Marketing to deliver a seamless and compelling experience for the end-user on digital products.
- Working with junior/freelance developers and setting standards for their work, while ensuring site templates and content pages meet accessibility standards, web standards and are generally error-free.
- Working with the Director and Head of Studio management in specifying and quoting work.
- Contributing to the studio's commitment to great customer experience; communicating clearly with clients at various stages during the development lifecycle.
- Keeping abreast of best practice and industry trends; educating colleagues and clients alike to advance the studio's web development service offering.
- We value enthusiasm, honesty and reliability. You'll be able to demonstrate these traits even if from time to time things get challenging.
- You’re articulate - whether that's in front of colleagues or clients, written or verbal - you'll be able to communicate effectively and reason about decisions made.
- A confident self-starter and initiative-taker; able to work independently and also thrive in a brisk studio environment.
- Organised and thorough; you're able to manage your own time and deadlines, while delivering to an expected standard within the constraints of timelines and budget.
- A strong eye for attention to detail; you're driven by a desire to make each project better than the last and have a proactive desire to learn and improve.
- Working in an agency, it's essential you can cope with unexpected interruptions or shifting focus if something crops up, without it adversely impacting your workload.
Necessary skills and experience
- At least 3 years’ creative or digital agency experience as a developer.
- You are a HTML/CSS/SCSS expert.
- Ability to utilise modern development tools such as Gulp, Webpack, Docker, Composer and Git.
- Comfortable working with APIs and the ability to demonstrate some recent experience of going beyond the basics.
- Substantial experience of customising WordPress, particularly with ACF and custom theme development.
- A good working knowledge of MySQL/MariaDB.
- Confidence in debugging code, testing as you go and using tools such as Lighthouse to improve the performance of your websites.
- A basic understanding of accessibility, technical SEO and user experience.
- You have a good degree of accuracy in estimating timeframes.
- You enjoy finding creative solutions to solving problems, but also know when to reach out for help if you get stuck.
- You have a reasonable understanding of cloud hosting environments and know your way around a DNS zone.
Bonus skills and experience
Depending on your prior experience and seniority, it would also be advantageous for candidates to be able to demonstrate one (or more) of the following:
- You have built a Craft CMS powered website or dabbled with Craft CMS.
- You have built a Shopify powered store or dabbled with Shopify.
- You have experience using Twig with either the Roots stack; or Timber for WordPress development.
- You've dabbled with Three.js or WebGL and can show us something cool on your private CodePen or Github account.
Who you will be working with...
- A growing, ambitious and supportive team of in-house and freelance designers, developers and marketers who thrive through collaborating together to create great work for our clients.
- A diverse, growing client base from sectors including visual effects, hospitality, charity, construction, events and professional services.
Arc is a Bournemouth-based creative studio that goes the extra mile to help purpose-led businesses and charities tell their stories: collaborating, problem-solving and sparking innovative ideas.
- We've been operating almost five years from sunny Bournemouth.
- Our specialism is working with third sector organisations, charities and churches, however, we also have a diverse mix of clients across a variety of commercial sectors across the UK and further afield.
- We are an official partner for Craft CMS.
- We're proud of our great retention rate for both employees and clients.
Benefits + perks
- Competitive salary: £35,000-£40,000 per year, depending on experience.
- Flexibility: Whether it's working from home, darting out to pick up the kids mid-afternoon or a lingering Parisian lunch with a friend, we recognise the need to be flexible with our team and we aim to create a family friendly life/work balance that other companies can only dream of.
- Food + Fun: Look forward to regular social gatherings to bring the studio together (from BBQs to outdoor cinema and days out further afield). We've got a kitchen stocked up with free fruit, biscuits, tea, great coffee, beer and gin.
- Learning and development time: Great developers never stop learning and we want to help you reach your full potential. We'll give you the space to try new techniques, attend conferences and learn new skills. We also commit to appraising your work and achievements to help you further your career. You’ll be given a MacBook Pro and high-quality widescreen display to put it all into practice.
- Time off: It's a given that we offer 5 weeks holiday, plus the bank holidays, however, we also shut the studio down completely between Christmas and New Year (in addition to annual leave) which means everyone gets to wind down and enjoy a good break with friends and family. Add to this an extra day for every year worked after your two-year anniversary (up to 7 years). Lastly, we've also just introduced 3pm finishes on Fridays to eek a little bit more out of the weekend.
- Wellbeing: As a business built around talented individuals, our team are our most important asset and their wellbeing in and out of work is the ingredient to our success. We provide a cycle to work scheme, discounts & rewards at over 30,000 brands via our HR system and a contributory pension (after 3 months).
Ideally, we are looking for a candidate who enjoys working daily alongside fantastic colleagues in a creative studio environment a few minutes walk to Bournemouth train station and award winning beaches. However, because so much has changed over the last year, for the right candidate we are also willing to consider:
- Hybrid: some time in the studio, some time at home.
- UK-based remote: although periodic travel to our studio in Bournemouth and client meetings (likely in London) will be required.
How we hire
We hire proactive and passionate individuals who share our beliefs. We’re self-starters who all pull together to achieve the same objective.
We believe the magic happens when you combine thoughtful collaboration, strong processes, and the freedom for people to be themselves. We value applicants from different backgrounds.
There are several factors we consider when reviewing applications. Your skills and experience are only one part. We’re equally interested in finding out your approach to work, your career aspirations and whether you have the passion and drive to succeed in a fast-paced environment.
Once aboard, we want to hang on to you. We work hard to seek out varied and meaningful work and give our employees every opportunity to learn and grow while working, both from us and from each other. We put our faith in people to deliver the best. And that’s why they consistently do.
Ultimately, we want you to thrive working at Arc, and we'll do our very best to ensure you do.
Salary: £35,000.00-£40,000.00 per year.